If you are like us, you probably have more than a few cans of cannellini beans hanging out in your pantry. These fat-free, high-protein beans are inexpensive, nutrient-dense, flavorful, and highly versatile. Even still, sometimes it can be difficult to figure out what to do with them, aside from throwing them in a white bean chili, or mixing them with tahini to create a white bean hummus.
Leave it up to the editors of Bon Appetit magazine to come up with three new ideas you may have never considered before! Read on to discover their unique ideas and the simple recipes that accompany them.
White Bean Fritters
1. Rinse and coarsely mash a can of cannellini beans, then stir in 1 sautéed finely chopped onion, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan and the juice of 1 lemon.
2. Shape mixture into 1 ½” balls, then flatten into patties. Dredge patties in all-purpose flour, shaking off excess, and fry in olive oil until golden on both sides.
3. Serve with lemon wedges alongside.
Creamy Rosemary and White Bean Soup
1. Cook a chopped onion in olive oil until soft and translucent, then add the leaves from 1 rosemary sprig and cook until fragrant.
2. Rinse and add a can of cannellini beans along with 1 bay leaf.
3. Pour in low-sodium chicken broth to just barely cover beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. Remove bay leaf and purée soup in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth.
Baked Jalapeño-White Bean Flautas
1. Rinse and mash a can of cannellini beans and toss with 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, 1 finely chopped jalapeño (remove seeds if you want less heat), 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack, and 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice.
2. Divide filling among 16 tortillas, then roll up tightly to form flautas.
3. Bake in a 425-degree oven, seam side down, on a parchment-lined baking sheet until tortillas are crisp and just beginning to crack, 15-20 minutes.
After a long day, it can be tempting to order take-out for dinner. Instead of settling, the team at Chroma Apartments in San Antonio, Texas would like to suggest this delicious and nutritious alternative!